PPSI Suzuki Student Programs
SUZUKI STUDENT INSTITUTE PROGRAM
Peaks to Plains Suzuki Institute is open to students studying violin, viola, cello, flute, harp and piano with a Suzuki teacher using the Suzuki Method. Students are expected to come prepared with memorized review repertoire and have a polished piece ready to perform in master class. PPSI is designed to be a family experience and parent/caregiver should attend classes with their child and help them prepare for the daily assignments. Student registration admits an accompanying adult, free of charge, to all student and parent activities. We also have class options for siblings who are not enrolled in our instrumental programming: Siblings as well as any child ages 3 weeks- 4 years old can register for our Suzuki Early Childhood Education Class and siblings ages 4 and up can register up to three age appropriate enrichment classes for the week! See individual listings below for detailed program descriptions including specific level and age requirements.
Suzuki Early Childhood Education Class
SECE class is for children 3 weeks- 4 years old who are not yet playing an instrument or enrolled in an instrumental program at PPSI.
* Meets each day M-F from 9:30 am -10:20 am
* Parent/caregiver must attend class with child.
* Bring your child to our daily one-hour SECE class and spend some quality time with them while increasing their musical and developmental skills! SECE music and movement Suzuki class develops language and musical skills, physical coordination and cognitive skill sets.
PPSI has enrichment course offerings for siblings! Scroll to bottom of this page for descriptions of our enrichment classes.
* Siblings ages 0-4 and caregiver may enroll in our daily one hour SECE class.
* Siblings ages 4 and up not enrolled as a Suzuki instrumental student at PPSI can register up to 3 age appropriate enrichments classes for the week! (Please register sibling(s) on Suzuki Student Registration Form)
Suzuki Pre-Twinkle Violin, Viola, Cello, Flute, Harp and Piano
PRE-TWINKLE: Tuition includes 3 classes and a t-shirt
* For beginning Suzuki students who do not yet play all of the twinkle variations fluently.
* Tuition includes 3 classes: a master class, a group class, and a Dalcroze class.
* Pre-Twinkle classes begin on Tuesday morning and go through Friday morning. (see Participant info- Daily Schedule menu for registration day info as Pre-Twinklers register on Tuesday instead of Monday.)
Suzuki Violin (books 1-5), Viola (books1-4), Cello (books 1-4), Flute (books 1-6), Harp (all books) and Piano (books 1-5)
Suzuki BOOK 1- and up: Tuition includes 5 classes and a t-shirt
* * Students in Book 1 will be scheduled for a master class, a repertoire class, a Dalcroze class, and two additional enrichment classes.
* * Students in Book 2 will be scheduled for a master class, a repertoire class, a technique class, a Dalcroze class, and one additional enrichment class.
* * Violin students Book 3-5, Cello and Viola students Books 3-4, harp 3 and up, and Flute Students Books 3-6 will be scheduled for a master class, a repertoire class, a technique class, orchestra, and one additional enrichment class.
* * Piano students book 3-5 will be scheduled for a master class, a repertoire class, a technique class, an improvisation class, and one additional enrichment class.
* Master class – Class with 3-4 students in which each student takes turns receiving one-on-one instruction from a faculty member each day.
* Technique class – This class focuses on level-appropriate technique in a group setting.
* Repertoire class – This group class focuses on repertoire review, ensemble playing and preparation for concert performance.
* Enrichment classes – Students may select from a number of enrichments to complete their schedule. See below for more details about our enrichment classes opportunities for this year.
Enrichment Classes include fiddling, ukulele, dalcroze, capoeira, yoga, and art. Please select choices in order of preference during registration. Every effort will be made to give students their choices.
* NOTE: Each child will have one free period a day unless you choose to register for an extra enrichment (additional fee). During their free period, students can practice, read a book, and have a snack in designated areas. Practice rooms will be available and there will be areas to lounge.
Enrichment classes – Students may select from a number of enrichments to complete their schedule. You will have the opportunity to select choices in order of preference during registration. Every effort will be made to give students their choices.
Enrichment Class options include:
Dalcroze Eurhythmics (All pre-twinkle, book 1, and book 2 Suzuki instrumental students will be automatically registered for this musicianship class. It is open to other students and siblings as well by selecting it in your enrichment options.)
Training of the body through rhythmic movement; the senses through intense listening; and creativity through imagination and improvisation in order to enrich and enliven music making.
Fiddling (violin, viola, and cello book 2 and up)
Join world-renown fiddler and teacher, Crystal Plohman Wiegman, to learn traditional fiddle tunes from Irish, bluegrass, and old time styles. These tunes will be taught with authentic style and rhythm and will include an introduction to backup chopping and fiddle kick improv!
Ukulele (open to all ages and siblings)
In this class, you will learn how to form chords and strum the ukulele while singing. You will also learn how to read tablature to play melodies without singing, and will begin to combine harmony and melody simultaneously to play solos at a high level. The focus of each session will adjust to accommodate the needs of class members so everyone has fun, feels challenged, and walks away ready to play the ukulele.
Capoeira (open to all ages and siblings)
Martial arts done to a Brazilian beat! Learn cool moves, try fun games, and play Afrobrazilian folkloric songs and instruments. Join Mestre Beringela, Lewis Lease, who co-leads United Capoeira Association Colorado, and learn to play Capoeira!
Yoga (open to all ages and siblings)
Explore how yoga asanas help us open our bodies, calm our minds and how these qualities transfer to playing instruments. Through movement and playful games, even the youngest children can have fun understanding the basic shapes of yoga postures. Classes will be tailored to fit different age groups and levels of experience.
Art (open to all ages and siblings)- Japanese Art Forms
Explore and learn a variety of Japanese art forms in different mediums (draw, paint, clay, paper). Discover art forms such as Origami, Gyotako - the art of fish printing, Kitemaking, Sumi e - ink wash brush painting and Anime - hand drawn Japanese animation. Expand and enrich your horizons as you explore the world of Japanese art.